Carlos Castillo

In April 2010, Miami-Dade Police Detective Carlos Castillo was viciously attacked during a traffic stop in Liberty City. As Det. Castillo requested back-up, the suspect took off running around a residential building, went up to the second floor, and dropped a 30-pound cinder block on Det. Castillo’s head.

Det. Castillo’s attacker then proceeded to kick and stomp on the detective, and then ran him over with his own police car.

Det. Castillo was rushed to Ryder Trauma Center with life-threatening internal injuries, multiple skull fractures and spine injuries, a broken arm, as well as 10 broken ribs.

“I’m thankful to Jackson and everyone who took care of me,” he said. “I’m fortunate to still be alive.”

He spent three and a half months at Ryder Trauma and six months doing physical therapy at Jackson Rehabilitation Hospital. He also underwent two surgeries in his right arm.

He has since recovered, but didn’t regain full movement of his right arm. He also lost his sense of smell. He returned to work almost a year later after his attack.

Det. Castillo, who used to work in the Robbery Intervention Detail (RID) Unit, has since transferred to the Technical Operations Unit, where he provides support to other detectives with the collection of surveillance videos and other evidence.

Det. Castillo, who believes it’s a miracle he’s still alive, enjoys spending his free time with his wife and two daughters.

People Who Saw This Story Also Read:

James "Woody" Beckham

“Jackson treated me fantastically, especially their caring staff and brilliant doctors,” Woody said. “Jackson is a special place where countless people get excellent care, particularly those who need it the most.”

Steven Avila

“I’m grateful to Ryder Trauma Center,” he said. “They saved my life. The treatment was the best in the world.”

Desiree Meyer

“I have fond memories of Ryder and the medical staff,” Desiree said. “Everyone was so great to me. They made me feel like I was not alone.”

Tiffany Davis & Skyla Milton

“Doctors made sure I was all right before I got out of the hospital,” said Davis, “and I hope they just keep it up and save other people, like how they worked on me.”